This course will aim to explore how to best safeguard and support families where a child or young person has a disability. The course will be delivered by Wakefield Complex Care Needs Team in partnership with the LSCB.
The target audience for this course is Children First Hubs staff, Children’s Social Care and any other practitioner who is directly working with children and young people with a disability. It is expected that delegates will have already completed Basic Safeguarding Training.
* To explore some of your own feelings about disabilities as well as the public perceptions and understand how these can influence practice.
* Participants will understand how being disabled for a child increases the vulnerability to child abuse.
* To consider the role of communication in protecting children and young people with a disability.
* To increase practitioner confidence when communicating with disabled children.
* To increase understanding of the Short Breaks process.
* To understand what an EHCP is and the process around the plan.
* To explore where children with a disability are on the Wakefield continuum of need.