Monday 21st to Friday 25th June 2021
Summer Conference – Wednesday 23rd June 2pm – 4.30pm – book here
Jonathan Giordano, Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership Manager will open this year’s conference.
KEY NOTE SPEAKER
Dr. Jenny Lloyd, a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Bedfordshire within the Safer Young Lives Research Centre who will deliver Contextual Safeguarding of Children & Young People.
Dr Jenny Lloyd is a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Bedfordshire within the Safer Young Lives Research Centre. As a member of the Contextual Safeguarding team she works on two research projects; managing the National Scale-Up of Contextual safeguarding across England and Wales and a study into innovation in social care. In most recent research Beyond Referrals explored responses to harmful sexual behaviour in schools. Twitter: @jennyalloyd
This year’s Key Note Presentation will include:
As they move through adolescence, young people increasingly socialise, spend time and form relationships in extra-familial settings. The relationships that they form, and interactions they have, with peers, professionals and others in these settings can be both protective and present a risk to their safety and well-being. In this presentation, Dr Jenny Lloyd will introduce: the concept of Contextual Safeguarding; the evidence upon which it has been built; practices, resources and recommendations that have been co-designed with practitioners who have been adopting contextual approaches to safeguarding young people across England and Wales over the past seven years. In doing so it will provide the foundations for practitioners interested in developing new approaches to both safeguarding young people and meeting the challenge of extra-familial risks of significant harm.
INSPIRATIONAL SPEAKER: PHIL PEARCE
Don’t miss inspirational speaker, Phil Pearce who draws on his traumatic life experiences to guide young people. When he hit rock bottom, one person was there to help him. With his presentation My New Life, Phil inspires others to be that ‘One Person’.
The WSCP Virtual Conference will be available to view from 2pm on 23rd June 2021
To avoid disappointment please ensure you book your place on the summer conference link
What’s on offer during SAFEGUARDING WEEK 21st-25th June 2021?
We have a number of LIVE sessions with opportunity to question the experts (you will need to book a place to join these sessions).
All of the virtual training sessions and briefings offered during the week are free for partner agencies, voluntary organisations, schools and practitioners working with children and families across the Wakefield District.
All virtual sessions will be accessed through the WSCP website and will be available from 9am on 21st June.
If you require assistance accessing any sessions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding Week LIVE Webinars link
- WEBINAR: 21st June 10.30am-12pm Non-verbal Disclosure of Child Sexual Abuse Delivered by Dr Ruth Skelton – Paediatrician Bradford Teaching Hospitals
- WEBINAR: 21st June 12.45pm-13.45pm Organisational Response to Abuse by a Foster carer Delivered by Capstone Foster Care
- WEBINAR: 21st June 2.00pm-4pm Warning signs in those who present a risk of sexual harm to children Delivered by Lucy Faithful Foundation
- WEBINAR: 22nd June 10am-12pm Domestic Abuse Stalking Harassment and Honour based Abuse DASH – (2009) Delivered by Anna Tomlinson Simpson – Domestic Abuse Early Intervention Specialist via Skype
- WEBINAR: 22nd June 1pm – 1.45pm The role of the Specialist Domestic Abuse Practitioner & Overview of the services offered by the Wakefield District Domestic Abuse Service Delivered by Lisa Wade – Specialist Domestic Abuse Practitioner via Skype. The webinar will include Sanctuary, Court Support, Housing Support, Links with the Children’s First Hubs, Signposting and Referral with an opportunity for questions.
- WEBINAR: 22nd June 1pm-3.30pm Young People’s Gambling Harm Prevention Training & Resources delivered by Young People’s Gambling Harm Prevention (YGAM) via MS Teams
- WEBINAR: 23rd June 11am-12.00pm WYFEAT Financial Exploitation and Abuse Safeguarding Training Delivered by Georgina Rushforth – Safeguarding Officer West Yorkshire Financial Exploitation Team via Zoom
- WEBINAR: 24th June 1pm – 3pm Domestic Abuse Stalking Harassment and Honour based Abuse DASH – (2009) Delivered by Anna Tomlinson Simpson – Domestic Abuse Early Intervention Specialist via Skype
- WEBINAR: 24th June 2pm – 4.30pm Introduction to Adult Safeguarding Delivered by Jennie Eastham & Emma Hall – Social Workers with Wakefield Adult Safeguarding Team via Zoom
- WEBINAR: 25th June 10am – 12pm Working with Parents with Mental Health Issues and Safeguarding Children. Delivered by Shelley Knight – South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust via MS Teams
Safeguarding Week LIVE Face to Face Sessions link
- Introduction to Resilience Framework Training – Wakefield Town Hall 22nd June 9.30 – 12.30pm Delivered by Denise Wheatman
- Participation Training – Wakefield Town Hall 24th June 9.45am – 4pm delivered by a community of children from Build our Futures including Children in Care & Young Carers. Young people talk candidly about professional’s decisions and the impact this has on their lives.
The training will include:
- A series of exercises to look at recognising our own barriers to talking to children
- Looking at relationship building and techniques
- Strategies to empower children to speak
Click here for: WSCP new 2021 library of recorded training sessions, videos, podcasts, e-learning and online sessions on LGBTQ, SEND, EXPLOITATION, DOMESTIC ABUSE AND MUCH MORE .
- Education – Safeguarding Audit feedback and Ofsted SVSH Review – A recording by the Education Safeguarding Advisor on this year’s education audit and the Ofsted review into Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment between students in schools/colleges.