Monday 20th June
09.00 - 17:00 Self Neglect - Safeguarding Adults Conference HYBRIDShow detailsThis is an all day event starting at 9:00am until 4pm and includes topics such as the Mental Capacity Act & Executive Function, Trauma Informed Practice, input from the WY Fire Service & Wakefield District Housing, Learning from SAR's and more.
Hybrid delivery at Pinderfields Hospital Lecture Theatre & via MS Teams.
To book email firstname.lastname@example.org
13:30 - 16:00 2022 Safeguarding Week LAUNCH EVENT FACE TO FACEShow details
(includes HSB performance by Airedale Academy Fun...Frolic...Force!)This official launch of Safeguarding Week will begin at Pontefract Squash & Leisure Centre, with a welcome and introductions from Jonathan Giordano, WSCP Manager.
Students from Airedale Academy will perform 'Fun...Frolic...Force', a visual representation of personal space from toddler to teen. Recently performed at the Welsh Assembly, these award winning performers depict harmful sexual behaviour from the perspective of both girl and boy and is one not to be missed!
Forensic CAMHS, Youth Justice & Youth Services will follow the performance with a workshop on "Young People who display Harmful Sexual Behaviour" The workshop will cover; Introduction to YOT and FCAMHS, Introduction to HSB, Joint working between YOT/FCAMHS, HSB Assessments & Intervention & a closer look at a case study .
16:00 - 20:00 safeTALK Training - Know what to do if someone is thinking about suicide by following the TALK steps - Tell, Ask, Listen & Keep safe FACE TO FACEShow detailsThis half day, face to face event at The Samaritans HQ, Wakefield should not be missed. These practical steps offer immediate help to someone having thoughts of suicide and help you both move forward to connect with more specialised support.
Places are free for those that live, work or learn in the Wakefield District. Including Hemsworth and District, Normanton, Castelford, Pontefract, Knottingley, Havercroft and Ryhill.
10:00 - 11:30 Tackling Virginity Myths VIRTUALShow detailsEXTERNAL EVENT Karma Nirvana, supporting victims of honor-based abuse and forced marriage, in partnership with; Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Midwives, WomenNOW, MEWSO and IKWRO.
Dispel the ‘virginity myth’, including the practice of virginity testing and hymenoplasty, from a clinical and scientific standpoint
- Challenge harmful perceptions linked to virginity that perpetuate Violence against Women and Girls;
- Outlines the new law to ban Virginity Testing and Hymenoplasty within the Health and Social Care Act 2022
NB this is an external training provider. WSCP holds no responsibiltiy for facilitation or booking. All communications to go via Karma Nirvarna
Tuesday 21st June
09:30 - 16:30 CANCELLED Working Together a Shared Responsibility FACE TO FACEShow detailsDelivered by Karron Zelei, this advanced face to face course is designed to increase the participants knowledge and understanding of Working Together 2018 to Safeguard Children and other key legislation, including the West Yorkshire inter-agency procedures and local guidance.
NB this date is now FULL.
09:30 - 11:00 Child Criminal Exploitation, raising awareness in Wakefield VIRTUALShow detailsPresented by Michelle Leadbeater, this presentation gives an understanding of Child Criminal Exploitation, much wider than its perception of 'drug dealing' and how it can take on a number of different forms. Its aim are:
- to develop an understanding of County Lines and the current picture in Wakefield.
- to understand how drug dealers may operate in recruiting vulnerable young people and adults and how some vulnerabilities may be easily exploited by others.
- to understand what cuckooing looks like and highlighting the experiences of homes being cuckooed
- to help us to spot the signs and understand why it may be difficult for people to exit and what we can do to as professional to help.
10:00 - 11:30 How we work together as partners to safeguard adult residents in Wakefield VIRTUALShow detailsThis 90 minute presentation will be delivered by Karen Charlton, Designated Professional for Safeguarding Adults and colleagues via MS Teams live
13:00 - 15:00 Partnership Briefing & NWG KEY NOTE: Safeguarding Adolescents into Adulthood VIRTUALShow details
This 2hr event will inform where some national work on Transitions has been successful and how this translates in Wakefield, signposting to NGW resources & the work they do. Delivered by Partnership Manager Jonathan Giordano and Steve Baguley from NWG.
15:30 - 17:00 Designated Safeguarding Lead Forum - Keeping Children Safe in Education VIRTUALShow detailsThis 90 minute forum is delivered by Vicki Maybin, Safeguarding Advisor for Education via MS Teams and will cover:
New statutory guidance for schools for the next academic year, Education welfare service with input from Children Missing from Education, Elected Home Educated & Children Vulnerable Exploitation Team.
NB This is for Education Staff ONLY
Wednesday 22nd June
10:30 - 12:00 Relationship Enquiry - What it is. Why it is important and how it can impact on famiites VIRTUALShow detailsDelivered by Amity Relationship Solutions & Early Help via MS Teams followed by a Q&A. This session is aimed at early help, social care and front line practitioners who are in contact with families.
13:30 - 15:00 SWYPFT Safeguarding Team - Professional Boundaries and Persons in Positions of Trust (PiPoT) Concerns VIRTUALShow detailsDelivered by Rebecca Fawcett and Toni Burns from the South West Yorkshire Partnership Foundation Trust Safeguarding Team, this workshop on Professional Boundaries and Persons in Positions of Trust (PiPoT) Concerns will be delivered via MS Teams.
14:00 - 14:50 CSE Coercion & Respect Programme VIRTUALShow detailsDelivered by Esther Mahle, from Spectrum, this 50 minute workshop via MS Teams, is aimed at Early Help Hubs, DSLs, Social Workers and anyone who would refer into the Respect programme. It provides:
- An overview / refresher on CSE & coercion in teenage relationships
- Information on the Respect programme and referral process
Thursday 23rd June
09:30 - 11:00 Domestic Abuse Act VIRTUALShow detailsDelivered by Karen Harcourt from the Strategic Domestic Abuse Team, this 90 minute workshop will be accessed via MS Teams and will provide:
An overview of the Domestic Abuse Act 2021
- Updated information on measures/changes which have come into effect
- Information on future planned measures and implementation dates
- An overview of how Wakefield District is responding to the Act
10:00 - 13:00 Supporting Young People Suffering From Domestic Abuse VIRTUALShow detailsExternal provider & online training course £35. This National, Multi-Agency Domestic Abuse training is delivered via Zoom and is aimed at Professionals that works with C&YP who are involved in Multi Agency partnerships. It looks at young people's experience with and the impacts of domestic abuse & how professionals can help them.
NB this is an external provider and WSCP has no responsibility for facilitation or booking.
Friday 24th June
10:00 - 11:30 Scams, Fraud & Financial Abuse Awareness Session VIRTUALShow detailsDelivered by Jill Walker, Social Worker, West Yorkshire Financial Exploitation and Abuse Team (WYFEAT). This webinar will be followed by a short Q&A session.
This Level 1 Training is aimed at individuals who work with vulnerable adults who may be at risk of scams, fraud and financial abuse.
The Objectives of this training module are:-
- to increase knowledge of Financial Abuse under the Care Act 2014 and how to identify it
- to look at ways vulnerable adults can be safeguarded to protect them from financial abuse and exploitation
- to address the stigma attached to being scammed and how to change this
- to explore the wider impact of financial abuse
- to outline practical measures available to combat financial abuse
- to outline the role of WYFEAT and how to refer to the team
14:00 - 16:00 The Resilience Framework FACE TO FACEShow detailsThis session is facilitated by Denise Wheatman the Lead on the Resilience Framework for Wakefield Council and Emily Castle- CEO Young Lives Consortium. and will be held at Pugneys Country Park.
The session will enable you to:
- Increase confidence in using the framework
- Recognise how it can complement your work
- Identify and overcome barriers to using the framework
- Share best practice
By the end of the session the learner will:
- understand The Resilience Framework approach to working with children and young people and how it can be applied in to their own working practice.
- be able to use the Resilience Framework and its support tools to communicate effectively with children and young people.
- increase confidence to develop and use creative strategies (resources provided, new and existing interventions and activities) to build Resilience competences in children or young people.
- understand how the Resilience Framework can support practitioners in the assessments and processes to support children and young people be heard.
Check out other sessions running outside Safeguarding Week...
Keep up to date with the latest developments in safeguarding with new pre-recorded briefings which you can access at your convenience.
Keep checking for new entries...
Some of the sessions we will have available during safeguarding week...
- Working with young people who identify as Transgender
- How to build effective relationships with Adolescents
- Parental Alienation
- Life Story
- The Barnardo's Podcast: a series of podcasts covering FGM to black heritage to the care system.
- Sibling Sexual Abuse: The Last Taboo?
- Young Carers by Karen Wilkinson & Emma Newton
- Elective Home Education by Claire Hammerson - Education Inclusion Team
- Who's in Charge? Alcohol Awareness Presentation by Best Care Health Communities (see below for more resources)
- Cannabis Edibles - what you need to know by WY Police
- Partnership Intelligence Portal (PIP) Overview Presentation by WY Police
- Child Sexual Abuse 'Signs and Indicators' Template by Centre of Expertise
- Smokefree Wakefield The latest advice from Public Health
- Partnership Intelligence Portal resources by WY Police
- View the hard hitting Alcohol Awareness campaign from Birmingham Community Healthcare Who's in Charge?
- Knife Crime resources for Parents, teachers and children, from the Ben Kinsella Trust Website
- Sibling Sexual Abuse Project: Find resources and videos on one of the most common forms of child sexual abuse within the family. Click here to read the report
- National FGM Centre offer: MA Training on FGM, Breast Ironing and Child Abuse linked to faith or belief (CALFAB)
- IDAS - National Multi-Agency training on Domestic Abuse issues
- SARSAS - Responding to Discolosures: Responding to those affected by sexual abuse and violence
- SARSAS - Trauma & Recovery the self help guide to rape and sexual abuse