Substances & Legal Highs

Drugs and How to talk about them:

  • Where to start
  • keep your cool
  • Encourage conversation
  • Discuss the risks

Children are less likely to take drugs than try alcohol. But like with alcohol, it’s better to talk with your child early.

How to talk to your child or young person about taking drinking:

  • Start talking early
  • Find out what they know
  • Discuss the risks
  • Set boundaries


Turning Point – Inspiring Recovery

The Young Persons, Young Adults, Families & Carers Drug & Alcohol Service is a dedicated specialist service for those under 25 and their families.


■    Outreach service – meet you where it suits you

■    Education about drugs and alcohol

■    1:1 support and space to talk things through

■    Support to look at your drug or alcohol use, what are you using, how much and how often

■     Help with deciding what changes you want to make with support to cut down, quit and gain control

■    Access to support from our mental health nurse from SWYPFT linked to CAMHS

■     Support for families and carers from our onsite Family Action worker

■   Familyline, a free helpline for family members over the age of 18* which offers befriending and counselling support Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm and a text crisis line outside

of these hours. Call the helpline now on: 0808 8026666 or text: 07537 404282


Our confidential** service covers the Wakefield District and is flexible so we can meet you wherever works for you – school, youth club or somewhere else. We also have a city centre site at Cross Street, Wakefield.


T: 0300 123 1912

A: 15 Cross Street, Wakefield WF1 3BW


*Family Action will refer anyone under 18 to the relevant services.

**All information shared is confidential unless there is a risk to you or anyone else.


Here are a few links for information and support.

Read More

Worried about a child’s drinking?

Although it’s fairly common for teenagers to try alcohol before they are 18 years old, it’s not normal for them to:

  • get drunk regularly
  • drink in excess while they’re alone
  • be dependent on alcohol.

A doctor may be able to refer your child on to treatment services and offer support to you or other family members. Or you can get help using Drinkline.

Drinkline: 03001231110

Worried about drugs?

If you’re worried about your child’s behaviour, you could speak to your GP. They’ll be able to:

  • refer your child for local support and treatment services
  • refer them for counselling
  • talk to you about how you or other family members are coping.

Related helpful resources…

Cookies are used on this site.

Cookies are in use on this site, if you continue without selecting an answer we'll assume that you consent to receiving any cookies. However, if you do not wish to receive cookies, please select no. For more information, please view our Privacy and Cookies Policy.