For academic year 21/22 training- please see email’s sent to all DSL’s in Wakefield.
Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 –
All Staff – need to read and understand! Part One (or Annex A for staff not working directly with children – governor agreed). Leaders and staff working directly with children also need to read Annex B.
Governors and senior leaders – Need to read it all but especially Part 2.
Are you taking advantage of the high quality, free, multi agency training on offer here in Wakefield?!
For FREE CPD options please see; training links/videos at the bottom of this page (includes Mental Health training), the usual online multi agency training offer, the 7 min guides in the Resources section, health and wellbeing networks and info below;
There is also a wealth of FREE virtual recorded training including;
Prevent (30 mins)/Seen and Heard (1 hr) – sexual abuse, trauma, disclosures/Staff Wellbeing in Education (17 mins)/ An Intro to County Lines (45 mins)/ Risk, Resilience and Relationships – Safeguarding Adolescents (30 mins)/Online Safety videos (5 mins) /Domestic Abuse and Covid 19 (35 mins)/ Trauma Informed Practice/ Intro to the Resilience Framework (25mins)/Safeguarding SEND children (30mins)/Motorway of Wellness (16mins)/ Pornography- research and resources (45 mins) and much much more!! (please remember to issue an emotional health warning and be prepared to provide support to staff if required)
DSL’s are also strongly advised to view the FREE Wakefield Neglect Toolkit presentation and SMART planning.
We no longer refer to levels of training for education staff. All staff need basic training, plus Safer Working Practice training and DSL’s need advanced training.
Basic Awareness local, education specific safeguarding training should be refreshed for ALL school staff (compare sign in sheet to full staff list) every 2 years. Contact Advisor directly – see Read More. Please also update staff regularly in staff briefings etc. and note this in your safeguarding training file. See Read More.
FREE Safer Working Practices 1 hr session – contact advisor directly for access to the recording. All staff to do every 2 years.
FREE recorded training offer . Can be used at any time or to top up certain topics.
DSL Designated Safeguarding Lead Training -Advanced. This is refreshed every 2 years, with evidence of at least annual updates, through forums, additional courses, reading emails etc. Courses do fill quickly so please book in plenty of time. Initial DSL training in Wakefield is a 2 day course. Refresher DSL training is 1 day course, repeated every 2 years following the initial course. DSL’s are also strongly encouraged to do 1 day ‘Working Together – a shared responsibility’ (this can be done immediately alongside the initial DSL course or in the year in between DSL refresher courses) and ‘Signs of Safety/assessing for early help’ courses (currently under development, please speak to your schools link hub worker for support and see the recording on SMART planning). DSL’s will also need Prevent training – options are online or face to face through multi agency program or Home Office – see useful links. Please do not use e learning DSL training as your main DSL course, objectives cannot be fully nor effectively covered at this level by this type of course alone. See Read More.
FREE DSL forums – replaced in the short term by recorded training sessions.
FREE Mental Health/Suicide training – ask your CAMHS FIM practitioner/ see Useful links below/ multi agency training / Eventbrite website – search Wakefield Mental Health
FREE Online Bullying/Safety training – see useful links
Governor training – see Wakefield Traded Services website/ contact advisor directly
Safer Recruitment – See Wakefield Traded Services website/multi agency training program
FREE Signs of Safety/assessing for early help – for DSL’s in the school working with families and/or attending cp meetings/Early help meetings. Please speak to you schools link hub worker/ see SMART planning recording.
FREE Multi agency – including Prevent/ Supervision skills/Allegations against Staff (for head teachers and chair of governors)/ Working Together-A Shared Responsibility/ Online safety and cyber bullying/Domestic Abuse/Criminal Exploitation/Impact of Porn etc. etc. see Multi Agency Training/ Recorded sessions.
FREE LAC (CIC) teacher training – See Read More
FREE Contextual/Extra Familial Safeguarding;
FREE Bereavement training for school staff;
FREE Trauma and ACES training;
FREE Prevent training;
Harmful Sexual Behaviour HSB training – see useful links
Schools Wellbeing. Health Improvement link – Peter Ward. email@example.com. 01924 303722/07785 243613
As Safeguarding is such a vital part of everyone’s role, ALL school staff should receive focused education specific basic awareness training which is regularly updated. There is an expectation that staff receive regular updates. Local advice is that there should be full focused training session every 2 years with recorded learning top ups and staff briefings/newsletters used in between.
Objectives of the basic awareness training are:
- Define safeguarding and abuse in a school context and recognise Trauma Informed Practice.
- Name and define the categories of abuse and recognise current signs and indicators
- Identify vulnerable groups and current issues. (for example Mental Health Issues, Domestic Abuse, HBA, Safeguarding Issues outside the home e.g. online safety, radicalisation, CSE, CCE, Peer on Peer)
- Consider lessons learnt for schools in Serious Cases.
- State how to respond to concerns using school policy and procedures – safeguarding, whistleblowing, code of conduct (including best practice – disclosures, recording and information sharing)
- Consider the local Wakefield picture.
- Reflect on professional boundaries and attitudes.
This is takes approximately 2 hrs.
All are welcome to attend this course but please bear in mind there is specific strategic Governor training available see below.
DSLs / Headteachers and other senior staff are expected to keep up to date with basic awareness training.
If DSL’s are delivering this level of training in house please consult the TNA provided by Vicki Maybin before design and delivery to ensure appropriate objectives are covered. The advisor is also available for support and Quality Assurance if needed. Please also ensure that you are hitting the recognised national minimum standards for safeguarding training – available from the Advisor.
Safeguarding – Let’s not hit the target but miss the point!
Due to the subject matter sessions MUST take place in a private area, that is not in an area where pupils or other staff members may walk through.
Having a copy of your safeguarding policy, code of conduct, whistle blowing and recording forms available on the day will assist in message giving to staff.
Tables may be needed for activities, arranged so everyone can clearly see the projector screen.
Projector, screen, speakers are likely to be required.
Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP)
Room 59 County Hall
WSCP Recorded Training
This is through the Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP). This is free and available for staff at any time.
Recorded learning can be used in the year in between specific school focused training.
If there are any issues please contact the Safeguarding Training Team:
- Business Admin firstname.lastname@example.org or 01924 307712
For national providers offering FREE online courses in Prevent, Anti bullying, Mental Health – see useful links
This must happen every 2 years with regular updates in between (in the form of self reading/ noting emails sent by advisor/ attending DSL forums/multi agency training etc). DSL training is booked through Wakefield Traded Services. Due to high demand for courses please do not book onto DSL training every year.
It is strongly advised that all DSL’s also attend Working Together – A Shared Responsibility, and it is necessary to attend Prevent training, these are available through the free multi agency program;
DSL’s will also want to consider other courses on offer through the free multi agency program including Wakefield Neglect toolkit/ SMART planning/ Technology and cyber bullying/ Mental Health Issues/Domestic Abuse/Criminal Exploitation/ Supervision skills/Sexual development of adolescents/ Contributing to case conferences etc.
At DSL level please reflect on any course and write a short action plan to be filed in your safeguarding training evidence folder.
Please ensure you always have DSL cover in school – i.e. do not have all DSL’s out of school on the same course!
If it has been well over 2 years since DSL training, and you have not kept up to date by other means, please redo the initial DSL course. However if you are only a few months overdue please book onto the next available refresher course, this will not be a problem if you have kept up to date in between courses with forums, reading emails etc.
Please book in plenty of time as DSL courses do fill quickly. Please book by clicking here any issues please ring 01977 721522.
In certain circumstances DSL refresher courses can be delivered at your school/academy trust. Please contact the advisor for further details. However school are encouraged to book through Traded Services as this gives the opportunity to learn from other schools as well as the trainer.
Do not use E Learning training for this level of course, DSL objectives cannot be fully nor effectively covered by this type of training.
DSL Forums; in the short term these are replaced with recorded training sessions.
4pm – 6pm (Flyers with booking details sent via email)
To be held at a host school, topics and booking details to be announced via email and I point.
- Thursday 24th October 2019 – Harmful Sexual Behaviour HSB. Children Missing. Children Vulnerable to Exploitation CVE team.
- Tuesday 3rd December 2019 – Bullying. Trauma.Future In Mind FIM.
- Wednesday 5th February 2020 – CSE. Safer Internet. Operation Encompass.
- Thursday 26th March 2020 – CANCELLED – gov. advice coronavirus
- Tuesday 12th May 2020 – CANCELLED gov. advice coronavirus
- Tuesday 9th June 2020 CANCELLED gov. advice coronavirus.
Past forum topics have included Drug Services, Prevent, CSE, CCE and County Lines, Dealing with Suicide, Young Gamblers, Contextual Safeguarding Network, Domestic Abuse, Young Carers.
Please see Wakefield Traded Services webpage.
For full governing body training at your school please contact the advisor directly. This is a 2.5 hr course.
Please see traded services webpage/multi agency program
SMART planning/Prevent etc.
Please see recordings/multi-agency training programme
Allegations Against Staff training
For headteachers (who are named as the case manager in statutory guidance). Please see multi agency/recorded training programme
NB for school specific guidance please see useful links.
Additional or periodic training
Half day face to face training or day conferences are occasionally held in response to current issues, open to all staff. In the past this has included Suicide awareness, CSE awareness and Domestic Abuse DASH risk assessment. There is also the WSCP Conferences and Safeguarding Week.
Promoted via email and WSCP E – bulletin.
Looked After Children CIC Teacher Training
Training contact – The Virtual School
Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP)
Room 59 County Hall
- **NEW DfE grants for senior mental health lead training
- NEW podcast Safeguarding transgender children
- NEW Anna Freud mental health training for education staff
- NEW responding to online challenges (4min video)
- NEW Domestic Abuse podcast
- NEW recent reviews - training linked to themes RIP
- NEW schools health and wellbeing network
- Traded Services -DSL training
- WSCP Recorded training
- WSCP Multi Agency training
- Allegations against staff
- NEW traumatic bereavement seminar
- Bereavement training for school staff
- Psychological first aid training covid 19 young people
- RIP Recorded webinars - includes trauma informed practice/adolescent risk etc.
- Mental Health online learning (select core content universal)
- DfE webinar Supporting pupil and student mental wellbeing
- 20 min suicide awareness training
- We need to talk about suicide 60 min e learning- (do as a guest)
- Place2Be FREE Mental health champions training
- Young Minds training/workshops
- Podcasts Working with children vulnerable to mental health issues
- Prevent for FE
- Home Office Prevent E learning
- Home Office Prevent referrals E learning
- Home Office Channel awareness e learning
- Preventing radicalisation in schools free training kit
- Anti bullying online training
- Diana Award Anti bullying ambassator training
- Free workshops for children experiencing bullying
- Anti bullying webinars Diana Award
- NEW Supporting young people with trauma informed practice
- NEW Teaching students who have suffered trauma
- Trauma 15 min video Cath Knibbs
- Trauma and the learning brain video 5mins
- Home Office ACES training
- Serious youth violence videos
- What is private fostering video 2 mins
- Safer Schools app - online safety webinars
- Online Safety Live events FREE - UK Safer Internet Centre
- NEW LGFL Free online safety training - RSHE and beyond
- Online safety Lead training
- Short online safety videos
- Childnet Digital Leaders program - peer online safety
- Contextual safeguarding training - sexting/peer on peer/HSB (scroll down to education section)
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour in schools HSB podcast
- HSB Training for Education staff AIM
- NSPCC HSB training
- Free Sexual bullying training for schools
- NEW free teacher training tackling sexism in schools
- BROOK traffic light tool training
- NSPCC Training Schools How to have difficult conversations about abuse
- Home office FGM e Learning