WAKEFIELD YOUNG CARERS SERVICE UPDATES
Wakefield Young Carers Service are undergoing a number of exciting developments following the creation of a new post – “Young Carers Lead Practitioner.” Please review the Professionals Newsletter attached which details the new changes and exciting developments that are planned for the Wakefield Young Carers Service. If you are not yet familiar with the Young Carers Pathway please familiarise yourself with it here.
YOUNG CARERS NEWSLETTERS – CORONAVIRUS SUPPORT
In addition, the Wakefield Young Carers Service have created a series of newsletters aimed at young carers, with a special focus on support during the lockdown. These newsletters will be available to download from the following websites:
Wakefield Council Early Help – http://earlyhelp.wakefield.gov.uk/
Wakefield Youth Service – http://wfyouth.co.uk/
Wakefield Safeguarding Partnership – See documents below
Practitioners will be able to print them and share with the families they are supporting. The newsletters will also be promoted through WMDC social media (Facebook/ Twitter) channels where families can access the information directly.
As you all may be well aware, many children will have become young carers during lockdown – after taking on new or additional responsibilities at home. Please take a moment to review these newsletters and consider if they could be useful to any young carers you are supporting or any children and young people who may recently have taken on new / additional responsibilities at home during the coronavirus pandemic.
Below is an overview of what each newsletter contains & the target audience.
OVERVIEW OF NEWSLETTERS CONTENT
- Young Carers: Creative Lockdown Ideas & Activities* – Aimed at children under 11. Contains creative activities and ideas for keeping active. Includes fun websites for games and crafts.
- Young Carers: Top Tips for Surviving Lockdown – Aimed at young people 11+. Provides information about where to get help with links to resources for young people during this difficult time.
- Young Carers: Top Tips for Surviving Lockdown – Aimed at young people under 11. Provides information about where to get help with links to resources for young people during this difficult time.
- Health & Wellbeing Newsletter (June 2020)* – Aimed at young people 11+. Contains top tips on how to look after yourself during lockdown with links to useful websites.
- Coronavirus Bulletin (June 2020)* – Find out what help is available for you and your family during lockdown. Check you are getting the support you are entitled to. Includes helpful phone numbers and some great websites and apps for young people.
- Wakefield Young Carers Service Newsletter (June 2020) – Aimed at professionals. Find out about the latest updates relating to the Wakefield Young Carers Service.
* contain information that is relevant to all WMDC families.